Many things come to mind when Preparing a Lehigh Valley Home for Sale. Homeowners are usually aware of the common items such as:
- Get the carpets cleaned or replaced
- Declutter the home
- Paint the orange bedroom a neutral color
- Spruce up the landscaping
The above are the immediate items that come to mind. I wanted to list some things that are important to a Lehigh Valley Home Buyer but a Home Seller may not think about. Some of these items may make a home buyer believe the home has not been taken care of.
- The stove/oven is included as part of the purchase on a home. Make sure the oven has been freshly cleaned.
- A built-in microwave is also included as part of the sale. Make sure it is clean.
- If the refrigerator is included in the sale buyers will look in it. Clean?
- Ceiling fans - remove the layer of dust that may be present on the top of the blades
- Forced air system - make sure all of the vent covers in each room including returns are cleaned. Change the filter if needed.
- Settlement cracks around the tops of any doors or windows should be fixed and painted.
- Nail pops or bad "taping" of sheet rock should be fixed.
- Water stains on any ceilings should be painted (of course the water issue that caused it should be fixed).
- Burnt out light bulbs should be replaced regardless of location. The complete home is for sale.
- Bathtubs/showers - the grout or caulking should be replaced if needed. Buyers will pull back shower curtains to look.
- Sinks - soap scum, toothpaste should be cleaned
- Toilets - make sure clean and flushed before showings. Buyers WILL lift the lid and flush the toilet to check the plumbing.
- Closets - cluttered closets look small. Try to organize your closets.
- Basement - clean any cobwebs
- Basement - make sure the buyer has access to the furnace, water heater and electrical box
- Cat litter boxes - don't wait until 5 minutes before the showing to scoop or clean. The smell will still be there.
- Fish Tanks - an algae covered fish tank looks horrible in a bedroom (or any room for that matter).
- Garage or Shed - make sure to provide access to the buyer. A second showing to get access may holdup an offer.
- Double paned windows with condensation - fixing this can be more expensive then the other items on this list but a few bad windows indicate they may all need to be replaced.
The above list was compiled from working with hundreds of Lehigh Valley Home Buyers and Sellers. Some of it may seem trivial to a home seller. "If they want the house they will overlook it" is commonly heard. These items really do matter and will affect whether a home buyer makes an offer and if so what price they offer.
For all of your Lehigh Valley Real Estate Information, visit www.lehighvalleyhomesonline.com